Plainfield (AKA back in the Day, Walker's Grove) history.
Events in the early 1800s laid the foundation for Plainfield to be established as Will County's Oldest Community. Long before the arrival of the earliest white settlers, a large community of Potawatomie Indians had settled in the dense woods and vast prairie along the banks of the DuPage River, where they hunted and fished. The Potawatomie also built a village of semi-permanent structures and farmed small plots of land. The earliest white men in the area were French fur traders, in the 1820s, such as Vetel Vermette and George Fouquier. These traders plied their trade among the Indian communities throughout the region. Although a few of these men erected simple log cabins and may have established small claims, none actually purchased any land. 1
The first permanent white settler was James Walker who was introduced to the area along the DuPage River by his father-in-law, Rev. Jesse Walker, a pioneer Methodist circuit rider. The two Walkers traveled through the area, as early as 1826, on one of the many trips in which Rev. Walker evangelized the Potawatomie Indians. Two years later, in 1828, James Walker returned in the company of several men to stake a claim and erect a sawmill around which the settlement of Walkers' Grove developed. However, it was not until 1833 that the first government land sales occurred in what is, today, Will County. The earliest land transactions were completed in Chicago. 1
The small community of Walkers' Grove flourished because of the DuPage River; established routes to Fort Dearborn (Chicago) and Ottawa; a good supply of virgin timber; and relationships established by Rev. Walker. Lumber milled at James Walker's mill was hauled by Reuben Flagg to Chicago in order to erect the first two frame structures in the city. Reuben Flagg and his wife, Betsey, were the parents of the first white child, Samantha, born within the present boundaries of Will County, in 1830. 1
During the Black Hawk War of 1832, settlers gathered at the home of Reverend Stephen Beggs for protection. They tore down the barn and outbuildings to build a wall around the cabin, thus "Fort Beggs" was created. 1
Click here for a Chicago Tribune photo retrospective of Plainfield: http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune.com/chi-photo-gallery-a-history-of-plainfield-20130412/
Walkers Grove Subdivision Homeowners Association is a 485-home neighborhood established in 1994 by Fry Developers. All homesites are built except three at the west end of Round Barn; two of which are underconstruction. The Association owns and maintains: the135th Street parkway, four monuments and landscaping at the Meadow and Round Barn subdivision entrances, the pond and surrounding common area and the Route 30 privacy fence along with the adjacent common area.
The Association exists to abide and enforce the Declarations & By-Laws as well as care for the neighborhood's common elements and promote the recreation, health, safety and welfare of the neighborhood. Membership is automatic with home ownership giving each home one vote for board elections and the right to participate in monthly & annual board meetings.
1Village Historical Information, Village of Plainfield, IL, http://www.plainfield-il.org/pages/villagehistory